Monday, July 18, 2016

Glacier National Park - 7/15/16

Today was a bit exciting.  We had planned to hike to Bullhead Lake, which is a 4-mile one-way hike, and supposedly relatively flat.  Along the way, you run into Fishercap Lake, Red Rock Falls and Lake, and then Bullhead Lake.  The trail continues to Swiftcurrent Pass if you feel like climbing over 2000 feet in elevation.  What we saw of the trail was relatively flat.  Both Fishercap and Bullhead are prime spots to see moose, which is why I really wanted to do this hike.

We hit the trail around 7:00 and got to Fishercap Lake soon after.  No moose at Fishercap, so we continued down the trail.  About a half-mile further, we noticed two people waving at us and pointing to the side of the trail.  You guessed it - a big black bear was only about a hundred feet in front us!  I always tell Steve that I don't mind seeing bears from safe distances or from my car, but I'd probably sh!t my pants if we ever ran into one on the trail.  Thankfully, that didn't happen, but I was still terrified!  We saw it cross the trail once and we weren't quick enough for a good picture, but below is a picture of the bear's behind.  We couldn't see where it went after that but the people further up the trail had a better view of it and they indicated it was coming towards us (which is why we didn't stick around for the good picture!).  We put about a quarter-mile between us and the bear and then stopped to wait for the couple to let us know he was gone.  We saw them about 10 minutes later and they let us know he crossed the trail about 6 times before they passed him.  Steve and I tried to continue up the trail, but when we got to the point where we saw the bear, we were both a little freaked out we'd see him again.  So we went back to Fishercap Lake to watch for moose and wait for the trail to get a little more crowded before we continued our hike.

The bear - the other people were much closer to it (by accident) than we were!
While waiting for moose at Fishercap, several people told us this was the better spot to see them.  Someone yesterday saw 6 of them in the lake at the same time.  Another person told us they've seen 15 moose in this lake in the last two days.  How many did we see?  Zero.  Not a single moose.  We saw deer and that's it.  We ended up staying at the lake for about two hours waiting for moose, and while I couldn't complain about the view, we still never saw anything.  The trail to Bullhead never got busy so we didn't feel like chasing bears again today and called it quits in Glacier after the moose failed to impress.  Silly wildlife not cooperating.  Oh well, there are worse things to look at...

Fishercap Lake

Fishercap Lake

Deer at Fishercap Lake
Now I'm writing the last of the blogs in the car on our way to Spokane to catch our flight tomorrow morning.  We end vacation with Katie (Steve's cousin) and Dave's wedding in Ohio and then we drive home on Sunday.  I hope you enjoyed the blog - we sure enjoyed the trip!  Check out the rest of the Glacier trip here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment